Thursday, May 8, 2008

The News From Here is Mostly Disappointing. Mostly.

- I gave up my Community Farm plot. We are in the midst of finding a new home, and then we will be in the midst of moving. There just isn't time. Plus, we could potentially end up living an hour from the plot.

- My seedlings have remained pathetic. I'm resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to buy some bigger ones at the nursery. There is no space in our house for a grow light, but I'm getting one next year, that's for darned sure.

- Critters. Digging in my outside containers. I'm going to try cayenne pepper and see if that works to discourage them. The containers need some attention this week, as they're covered in a blanket of neon green maple tree buds.

Here's the good news, though: PEAS! Beautiful, gorgeous 7" tall sugar snap peas. Keeping them on my porch seems to have dissuaded the marauding squirrels. (You'd probably be dissuaded too, if you say our neighbors' great dane using the porch.) They apparently like the warmth, and the rain, and the little hit of slightly soured milk I gave them instead of dumping it down the drain. I'm hoping they'll actually bear fruit soon. I can hardly stand the wait.

No comments: