Thursday, September 13, 2007


My three types of tomatoes this year! The top picture is Principe Borghese, hopefully destined for some sun-drying. The middle is Black Cherry, which has a great texture & consistency, without a lot of tomato goop. The last is Husky Red, which has been slow to produce, but is now going pretty nutso. The remaining tomatoes on it won't ripen before the first frost, but that plant has remained less than two feet tall, so I'm pretty comfortable trying to winter it for a while. It's tempting to try to winter the Black Cherry too.
Sadly, the Principe Borghese is a bit too ungainly to bring indoors. I will definitely be growing that one again next year. It yielded a whole lot of fruit for a short growing season - I didn't get them in until mid-July. I learned a lot from these plants...next year I will not be afraid to hack them back to prevent legginess. I will also give them better sunlight; the one thing that truly gave me agita was the powdery mildew that built up incessantly on the grape tomato.
I can't believe the growing season is nearly over.

No comments: