Monday, August 13, 2007

The Forest for the Trees

One of my most recent "crops," the European salad greens, is perhaps the best illustration of how I need to learn patience if I'm going to ever manage to grow a good garden. I used up an entire packet of seeds between two 14" round containers. An entire packet.
This was not the original plan. I wanted to put in 1 crop, then sow more seeds as I harvested. I'm not sure what happened...whether I was tired after working in the sun to get 4 other containers done, whether the seeds were just so tiny that it didn't seem right to just sprinkle in a few, or if some other madness overcame me. I have an entire tiny forest of seedlings now, whatever the reason. And no seeds left for later. To make matters slightly worse, most of those seedlings are concentrated on half of one container. What exactly was I thinking??! Sure, they're tiny now, but these are going to grow into good-sized heads of lettuce.

Ah, well. We'll be having some, er, "sprouts" on our salads for a week or two. This is why I really shouldn't garden unsupervised.

In better news, I saw teeny carrot greens poking through the dirt beside the radishes. Thank goodness I showed a bit more restraint with those seeds, because I really want to be able to replant right through the first frost.

No comments: