Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Tomato Identification





I believe I've finally identified the grape tomatoes I've got growing. This is "Principe Borghese," which is fitting if only because Villa Borghese is one of my favourite places in Italy. It is apparently a determinate, but gets very big, which explains why I thought otherwise. From what I've been reading, these make excellent sun-dried tomatoes, and I'm going to attempt to do that. There are 8 gazillion on the vine right now, so plenty of room for experimentation!



I'd already figured out what these were, but I wanted to share a picture because I think they look pretty neat. They're Black Cherry tomatoes, and they taste like the bigger varieties of black tomatoes that are becoming more and more popular. These get to be about 1.5" in diameter on my vines. It seems I'm not letting mine mature long enough either, as they usually have a little bit of dark green stripage when I pick them. This does not make them any less tasty.

(PS - not my pictures.)

No comments: