Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Fruits of my labor

I ate the smallish tomato yesterday with my lunch. Like an apple, which I supposed is a little weird, but I didn't want it getting all messy. It was delicious! Sweet, and a little hint of crisp flavor. I wish the plant was planning to put out more than half a dozen fruits.

I suspect there'll be another ready to pick tonight, and I'm hoping the first banana pepper will be ready, too. There may even be a couple of cherry tomatoes ready. I'm clearly growing two different varieties...I had no idea what I had, as one came from a farmer's market and the other was mislabelled as a San Marzano roma. The latter is growing classic bright red cherries, and the former seems to be giving me something stripey and purple-pinkish. Neat!

I suspect a slug has been inspecting the garden. There are thin trails of shiny on the acorn squash, which is the only plant that touches the ground. I'm not sure what else it could be, but it's only in the past few days that I've seen it. I applied a second round of anti-mildew, as that plant still seems to be suffering, but it may meet the same fate as its cousin the cantaloupe. It doesn't appear to be getting any better, and the last thing I want is an invitation to hungry, slimy critters.

No comments: