Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Pea Mutiny


So last night, I peeked out my kitchen window to check on the garden, and noticed strange white pebbles in the snap pea container. Curious, maybe some animal had been digging and dropped them there. Or maybe something fell out of the trees. I didn't get a chance to investigate until early this morning, when I found out they were - peas! In all the rain, the seeds had swelled to the size of marbles, turned white, germinated, and somehow pushed themselves up out of the soil! So very irritating, especially given that I was dressed for work and had no time to change after getting filth all over me. I pushed them all back in their dirt, washed my hands off with the hose, and made a quick check of everything else.

Who ever realized peas could be so mutinous?!

Anyway. One tomato is perfectly, deliciously red. A smaller one isn't far behind, and several cherries seem ready to ripen as well. I count 3 fully developed banana peppers - one large enough to bend its stalk, so I need to stake it soon. The Pretty in Purple has 3 or 4 full size (about 3/4") peppers, about ready to turn red. The mini white pepper is also putting fruit out, but I've lost the tag so I have no idea how big they're supposed to get.

Both eggplants are monstrous, but show no signs of producing anything yet. I seriously cannot believe how out of control those plants are. They were wee little things when I put them in the ground, and now they dwarf everything out there. The cantaloupe really needs to just get dug out, is not doing well at all. I hate to rip anything out, though. Grrr.

No comments: