Thursday, August 23, 2007

Late August

A brief visit to the garden this morning revealed that I need to do some picking tonight! I've got a bunch of banana peppers ready to go, a couple of purple beans, a Black Cherry (or two), and one lonely ripe grape tomato. I think I'm going to scour the internets for recipes to preserve the peppers. We've got nothing for salad in the house except for those, and as we've already seen, I'm just not manly enough to eat too many in one sitting.

Somehow, the Pretty in Purples are STILL not ripening to red. It's been weeks now! I think the tag lies, and they will remain purple. It does not take any fruit this long to ripen, nevermind one that's not even an inch long.

The Black Cherry plant is producing a few more fruits, which is happiness-inducing. I tasted them this morning, and they're really quite yummy. Sweet, but not too sugary. Very smooth texture. I will be looking for these seeds next year...I already knew I liked the color. The grape tomato is astoundingly full of fruit. Both of those has really taken off in the past couple of weeks. The standard tomato has 3 fruits left, growing a little bigger than the last ones I picked, and 1 is starting to ripen. That plant hasn't gotten much bigger than it was when I picked it up mid-summer, so I suspect it's a determinate variety. Still tasty. I just wish I'd seen more than 6 tomatoes from it. But heck, it was a buck!

My cucumber lives to disappoint me, and the eggplant isn't far behind. Both behemoths that give me nothing. NOTHING.

No comments: