Saturday, August 18, 2007

Och, Powdery Mildew!

I may have one lonely radish hanging on through the Doggie Destruction. We'll see how it does. The potting soil that got dumped is effectively ruined, as it's all mixed in with the dyed cedar mulch - I don't really want to be growing edibles with whatever chemicals might be in there.

Yesterday's garden discovery: my grape tomato (for this, indeed, is what my "San Marzano Roma" turned out to be) is susceptible to powdery mildew. Seriously, this mold is the bane of my gardening existence. I trimmed the plant bald yesterday. Happily, it still seems to be throwing baby tomatoes my way. The hot weather + rain isn't great for the mildew, but it makes the plants pretty happy anyway. Growth on the tomato plants measures in feet, not inches. It's really amazing, despite the annoyance of needing to re-stake again.

I got a pretty good haul yesterday, about half a dozen of the heirloom cherries, a few grapes, and a banana pepper. I wish I'd taken some pictures of the heirloom cherries on the vine, they're beautiful. One standard tomato too. It looks like the fool plant really is going to give me just two more tomatoes. If it's going to throw any more, it needs to do so soon, lest the babies not have enough time to ripen before winter takes hold. I cannot say I'm not tempted to bring the tomato plants inside just before the frost and see how long they last. We've got a number of weeks before that though, and at least two more tomatoes to munch on before then.

I don't think my cucumber's going to produce a single thing. Sad. We're well past the time when everybody else's cucumbers have started being eaten. Stupid plant.

No comments: